Saturday, September 24, 2011

Back on the streets

Feeling the comforting confines of my armor again I remember the humiliation that took me out of it in the first place as I walk the familiar streets of my patrol once again. Sighing I think about each of the things that I was accused of particularly the last. Grunting I shake my head and continue the patrol, "Too much time to think while off duty as is, too much thought and not enough to keep myself busy." I mutter to myself keeping a careful eye on the other Militia I pass and saluting as needed. Looking around I keep an eye out for known troublemakers and those who might have joined the cause of making the city worse.

Thinking of trouble the Captain's words come back to me and I think of goblins and other problems and make plans to head out on my off time and scout the area, maybe make a visit to the goblins for a good fight. I chuckle to myself at that thought. "I really have been climbing the walls if I want to go play with goblins in their home terf." I mutter again keeping an eye out as I turn a corner. As I do I catch sight of Gareth, my older brother, heading my way and I frown. Not one of the worst of my many siblings, he tended to the overly protective, but not a favorite either and I once again feel very glad I missed meeting any of my family while on suspension. 

Trying not to catch his attention, at which I fail miserably as there are not many 5'2" females in the Militia, he waves excitedly like an overeager puppy and bounds towards me not noticing the people who are jostled by the action. Leaving a path of glaring and loudly complaining fellow street goers in his wake he finally stops near me nearly vibrating with too much good will and energy. "Hey little sister, still playing dress up in men's clothing and pretending to be tough?" he grins looking as though he expects me to join in the fun, laugh, toss my armor away, and go back to being a proper woman. Instead frown a bit as I look up to his face which is nearly a foot above mine. "Good day Gareth, I am afraid I do not know what you are talking about but I must go, I am still on patrol."

Looking a little deflated by my obvious lack of the expected enthusiasm at giving up what he seems to consider a great joke he grabs my shoulder causing me to need to resist the urge to break his hand, "Sharai, don't keep doing this non-sense. You had your fun, you got to make a point though no one understands why you felt the need to. Just give it up and come home." I twitch a bit at his words and twist out of the hold he had me in, "Gareth don't touch me, what is it with people touching me recently?" I mutter to myself not really seeing the look that crosses my brother's face, "For the last time, I am not playing a game, I am not making a statement, I couldn't go home regardless of if I had this career. What is so hard to understand that you all feel like you can just show up and I will suddenly change my mind?" This is said in a quiet but frustrated tone and I remind myself of control and the need to use it. Taking a breath I am about to continue when I realize that my bear of a brother is towering over me, his shoulders which bulge with muscle from long hours in the forge working as a blacksmith, causing a dark shadow as he blocks the sun, "I dunno if you realize this sis but you are a girl." as though this should come as a surprise, "And girls do NOT run around in armor, waving a sword, playing soldier. What makes you think they even take you seriously eh? You run around here as though anyone actually believes you are a threat. You should hear the jokes about you in the Knave! You have any idea how many heads I have to bust cause of that?"

I look at him surprised then shake my head with a sigh, "Gareth." he interrupts, "I didn't think so, you have no idea what your actions are doin to Ma and Da do ya?" muttering some unflattering things about my family in general and my brother in particular under my breath I continue on my patrol, my brother following me trying to look fierce and looming, "And who asked you to?" I ask him over my shoulder, "Why would I need you to ask for that? It is what a brother does, he protects his sisters and their reputation." he sounds hurt and tries to hide it, "Not that you have left much reputation for me to salvage." I grunt a bit then look over, "You ready to hear me yet?" I ask and my brother looks even more hurt at my words but shrugs, "If you all would just let go and let me live my life then you wouldn't need to bust heads, which I would really rather you not do as I might have to be the one to drag you to the Stockade for it." at his astonished look I continue, "You should just feel lucky I haven't heard of any complaints about you and don't think I wouldn't do it either brother or no now if you would excuse me, give my love to the family, I have work to do." with that I leave him standing there looking lost and continue on my patrol, knowing this is not the last I will hear from him, or any of them and not looking forward to a united front.

No comments:

Post a Comment